- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7 T sugar
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 t ground cinnamon
- 1/2 t ground nutmeg
- 1/ t pumpkin pie spice
- 6 T cold butter
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 T half-and-half
- 1 large egg
Sugar Glaze Ingredients:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons whole milk
Spiced Glaze Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
4. With a fork, pastry knife, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter remain. Set aside.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin, half and half, and egg.
6. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
7. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide).
8. Use a large knife or pizza cutter to slice the dough into three equal portions. Cut diagonally to produce 6 triangular slices of dough.
9. Place on prepared baking sheet
10. Bake for 14–16 minutes until scones turn light brown.
11. Place on wire rack to cool.
Sugar Glaze Directions:
1. Mix the powdered sugar and 2 Tablespoon milk together until smooth.
2. Brush glaze over the top of each cooled scone.
Spiced Glaze Directions:
1. As sugar glaze firms, combine the spiced icing ingredients.
2. Drizzle over each scone and allow to dry before serving.
Makes 6 pumpkin scones.
*Note: I don't enjoy cloves or ginger so I substituted pumpkin pie spice, which does have those but somehow is more tolerable for me. Or, I just add more cinnamon and nutmeg instead of the pumpkin pie spice.